Before you begin
The Apperception Game is played by groups of 4 or 5 students – larger classes can be broken into these smaller groups, which can each play the game simultaneously in the same room. Game players just need an internet-enabled device, e.g., smartphone, laptop, and tablet.
How to play:
- Create an account or login: For a new player, you can create an account using your email address and choosing your own password, then click “CREATE ACCOUNT”. The system will ask you to input a nickname and choose an avatar for playing the game. For an existing player, click “LOGIN” and enter your existing account to login.
- Create and join a session for playing the game:
- Create a session. Each group selects a group leader to create a session code. The group leader needs to click “CREATE SESSION” button. Then, the screen will provide a session code for your group.
- Join a session. Other players in the group need to enter the session code provided by the group leader to join the game.
- Play the game:
- Review scenario. Note for smartphone and tablet players: (1) the game works only for the portrait mode; (2) you may need to scroll up and down to review the scenarios that may not fit to your screen.
- Rank three possible responses to the scenario from the MOST to LEAST ethical. The default screen will rank from A → B → C. To change the order, you need to click on the rotate button ( ). Then, click “SUBMIT”.
- Engage in a discussion within the time limit. In this step, you need to both make the case for your rankings and listen to and assess the arguments made by other players. During the discussion time, the screen will display a progress bar with time remaining. When time is running out, please wrap up your discussion.
- Opportunity to switch your answer. After the discussion ends, you have a chance to either switch your rankings or remain the same. Then, the round is complete and is scored.
- The game repeats step 3.1 to 3.4 with a new scenario until all the scenarios are completed. The players with the most points at the end wins the game.